Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Crocheting or some people call it...

I had my first crochet class last night or some people like to call it stitch and bitch. I know several of my friends got a good chuckle when I told them I was doing a crochet class. A few of their responses were...
  • Crocheting is for old ladies
  • That doesn't suprise me
  • People still crochet
So here is an update from my class. The class was at ephemera and consisted of 10 people. You know how it feels the first time you ride a bike without training wheels, well thats how class started out. I knew how to do the basic chain stitch well after that I was lost! 

There wasn't a lot of one on one time with the instructor. Of course, there were people that could crotchet at different levels. Fortunately, the table that I was at had another special person aka someone that was slow at crocheting. I'm very competitive, so the fact that other people were farther ahead was frustrating. I finally was getting the hang of it towards the ends of the class. 

Below is a photo of a granny square. The instructor gave everyone a square to keep and use as a reference. My end product/blanket will consist of several granny squares.


Now, don't laugh this is what I got accomplished in 2 hours. I have a feeling I will be crocheting sweaters in no time! :)


 The instructor provided the class with online tutorials and her website, so hopefully I can have my homework (complete 2 granny squares) done by the next class. My goal is to complete four granny squares by my next class on Feb. 23. The teacher said it takes her 15 minutes to complete one. I have a feeling it is going to take me 7-8 hours or even longer. The thought even crossed my mind that I might have to pay someone to crochet a few squares for me. 

With the granny square pattern you make each individual square and hand stitch or do some type of crocheting to get them together at the end. For me it will be an accomplishment to complete one. Yes, I said one. I am really glad that I found this class. I love crafty projects and am looking forward to my end results a soft, hand-made, comfy blanket. 

I found a cool blog on crocheting called attic 24 brighten your day. Below are samples that I pulled from attic 24.



I plan to work on my granny squares tomorrow night, maybe a glass of wine will keep me on track - just a thought.

Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. I have a queen size bed, and would love a throw. I figure if I put the order in now you might be able to give it to me as a wedding gift in I don't know 5-6 years. I think you'll get the hang of it, and good for you - working on those domestic skills! I can't wait to see the progress this weekend!

    www.cdycattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a knitting class this year and got several of the same comments. Enjoy it and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! One of our favorite wedding gifts we got was a crocheted throw! It is big and snuggly - fits perfectly on the queen bed. My cousin made it for us... she started right when we got engaged and said she worked on it in all of her free time... for a whole 18 months. I'm inspired by your learning... I've been wanting to learn myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty! you'll get the hang of it in no time, i'm sure! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacinda - so good to hear from you. Do you have a blog?

    ReplyDelete